Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Not sure about the punchline...

But I KNOW what the joke is---the NCAA! 

I think anyone that follows sports at all is interested in collegiate sports in some form or fashion.  Whether it be basketball, baseball, or the all-powerful college football.  The latter being the sport that brings in bazillions of dollars.  Yes, I said bazillions!  No, I'm not sure exactly how many 0's go in that number!

Anyway, I have never seen such a poorly run, unethical, wishy-washy organization.  Let's look at a few specific cases.  The most recent being Jim Tressel LYING about when he found out that his players were selling items and profiting in some form or fashion.  This guy that makes over $2 million per year, and is well-respected by his peers and the national media.  Well, until now.  His five players all got to play in the big-money bowl game, but have to sit the first five games of next season.  Two of which are against Akron and Toledo.  Wow, I sure hope OSU finds a way to survive those (yes, that is sarcasm).  The good coach Tressel is suspended now too.  For those exact two games.  Gee, big punishment for him.  If the NCAA wants to make a point, why don't they suspend him for the biggest conference games of next season? 

Oh, wait---my bad.  The NCAA DOES love making big points.  That's what they did with Dez Bryant, right?  He had an innocent lunch with Deion Sanders, who advised him on a personal level.  He was asked about it, but lied to investigators out of fear of what might happen.  The lying was wrong, no doubts, and should not go unpunished.  But to suspend him the rest of the year and take away his eligibility??????  How do those punishments possibly show consistency??? 

I wish they would wise up.  These coaches make millions and get away with murder.  Yet these players, who are the ones doing the work, get nothing like the coaches.  Granted, the scholarship is very valuable.  That education is priceless.  But when you look at the dollars brought in by these athletes, and the corruption that goes on behind the scenes, wouldn't it just be easier to pay them something and get it all out on the table?

Anyway, just one man's opinion.  I don't know the answers, but I sure get tired of hearing about all the suspect activity that gets uncovered because so many people are involved in secret schemes, etc.  It gets under my skin even moreso when I watch how these punishments are handed out with no true harshness when it requires it, yet too much when it doesn't.  Just a sad case in general!  Good thing my faith is in God and not in men! 

So, what are your thoughts on this?  Do you think the NCAA operates fairly all my fellow sportsfans?  Chime in and let us know!

Have an awesome day!

No comments: