Sunday, August 14, 2011

A simple fella...

I struggle with things just like everyone else.  Heck, we all have things that we need to work on, right?  Well, today, one of my issues in life is how much to care or not care about our government and economy.  One one hand, I do care alot.  It matters to me, to my kids, for the greater good, etc.  It has had great days, and shouldn't be in the state it is in currently.  One the other hand though, what do we expect to happen when we have self-serving people in our government as elected leaders, who are out for their own agenda, and DO NOT actually make decisions based on the greater good?

I'm just a simple fella.  I will admit quickly that I don't understand everything.  Most people are probably way more intelligent than I am.  What I do know though is that everything in life comes down to good or bad, of God of not of God, and all is dictated by our attitudes and choices. 

Proverbs 14:22
Do not those who plot evil go astray?  But those who plan what is good find love and faithfulness.

Most people hear or see the word "evil" and think crazy demonic devil-worshipping.  I see evil simply as the opposite of good.  Again, attitude is everything.  So when it comes to our elected leaders (yes, a reminder that this IS actually OUR own fault), I get frustrated that many get elected and someone is already in their back pocket for helping and their whole agenda is of self-promotion and ultimately self-serving.  Can good things come from that?  Sure.  But is that necessarily acting on what is BEST for people?  NO!

Three key words from each half of that verse to take quick note of:
-the first half---plot, evil, astray
-the second half---good, love, faithfulness

Seeing as how I could get fired up over this topic, I am going to wrap it up with two quick things.  The first is how this verse applies to your own life.  What is your agenda?  Is it yours, or is it God's?  The second is asking you to join me in praying for our elected leaders, both current and future.  We have important obligations as citizens to elect the right people for the right reasons.  We also have a voice we can use to let these public officials know what we think, and what we will and won't stand for.  USE IT!  But first, pray with me today and going forward that God will reveal to us the best people for these jobs.  God is good, and our faith and trust have to be in him first.  Seems to me that we would be better off if we elected HIM in our hearts and lives FIRST, then follow his lead and see how everything plays out.

Again though, I'm just a simple fella...

No comments: