Monday, August 8, 2011

Difference makers...

I know I try to encourage each of us at the end of most of my posts to make a difference out there.  Tonight, I want to just point out a few people that have made a huge impact in my life.

First, I want to clarify this.  I have many friends and relatives that are an ongoing part of the growth in my life.  These people probably won't be mentioned here.  What I am speaking of tonight and focusing on are those that made a difference at a point, yet it was YEARS later before I ever understood just how much of a difference they made.

So, here we go...

There was a family I was close to growing up that was like a second family to me.  It was the Jarrett's.  John Jarrett was one of my closest friends throughout my school years, and his parents, David and Jane, were a HUGE influence on me.  In fact, the more I go through life, them more I actually still think about them and who they are, and what I saw from them.  They were a God-fearing couple that kept each other first, yet had such big and loving hearts that everyone they came in contact with felt like they were the most important people in the world!  I know they prayed for me, loved me, taught me, and accepted me---for who I was---yet still always desired more for me and saw what my potential could be as a person.  I saw how they taught their children, expressed their love openly for their children, yet still disciplined them and held them accountable.  When I accepted Christ, Jane Jarrett was the first person I thought of.  I think God was opening my eyes to how he had been surrounding me with wonderful people all along my path, and letting me see how he had been working all the time!  I can honestly sit here and say that if there were two people I wish I saw more and had more consistent contact and communication with, there is NO doubt it would be David and Jane Jarrett.  If you two ever happen to read this, I hope you know I love you with my whole heart!

I am a big believer in Young Life.  For me, it is ideal.  I see why most people are very turned off by "church" and want nothing to do with it.  I have said here before that if I didn't know Jesus already and went to most churches today, I'd want nothing to do with him.  Young Life is different.  It is geared at high school students, and most times does not actually meet at a church.  It is more about relationship building and influencing students at a very important time in their lives, where many decisions will be made, habits formed, and paths laid out.  Pete Chiofalo was our YL leader at Trinity High School.  I can't say alot about Pete, but I can tell you that he had a huge impact on my life.  After I was saved, as I have grown in my walk, God has laid Pete on my heart as an example.  He was a guy who was married and had a young child, yet just opened his home, heart, and life up for kids he didn't even know.  He made himself available.  See, I am a HUGE believer that if you want to give something to someone that actually matters, give them your TIME.  It's easy to write a check and give money.  We can always find, make, or get more of that.  But time is measured.  We don't get more than we have, yet we MAKE time for the things we find important.  So therefore, Pete gave ALOT in my eyes!  I had very limited interaction with Pete then, and have had only one encounter since then, but I can tell you that God was all over EVERY bit of all of them, and I know Pete is still blessing and impacting lives as he pastors a church over in Keller, TX.  If you are close by, find him and go see him!

While enjoying the five-year plan at SFA, I was saved.  It was probably right at the midway point.  After that, I got involved singing and attending at Oak Grove Baptist Church.  Jim Carter was the pastor, and his wife Marcy and all of their awesome children became a huge part of my life.  While I love them all, and they all loved me unconditionally, there was one of them that really stood out.  It was their son, JC.  The main reason is that he was probably one of the greatest all-around guys I had met to that point, and that still holds true today.  He really encouraged me and hammered life-lessons in every chance he got.  He didn't judge me or act like he was better than me.  All this while being a young man going through the same things in life that I was---the difference was the integrity he showed every step of the way.  His convictions are what guided him, and it was VERY clear to me that those convictions came from reading the Bible, trusting God, knowing Jesus, and walking daily with the Holy Spirit.  JC doesn't lead with words, he leads by example.  I could go on and on about him.  I am fortunate to know him, and thankful God put him in my life.  I love you J.

Going through a divorce was one of the toughest things I have ever had to deal with, and I am the one that wanted it!  Either way, I was living at the time where most of the people in my life were all related to my church.  My circle was mostly maintained inside those walls as far as my relationships and my friendships.  So when this happened, I stopped going there, and according to others, was on a path straight to hell.  There was really only one person that unconditionally loved me and showed me Jesus through that, and that is one of my closest friends Chris Williams.  We are still very tight today, and I am sure glad.  I had the chance while we were at church together to watch him grow and change as he grew closer to God.  I also know my failures hurt him as a person.  That is why it is even more impressive to me and encouraging to me to know that although his human view of my actions and my life were frustrating and he didn't personally agree with, he still NEVER quit on me.  That is the kind of thing that makes a HUGE difference in someone's life.  Now, I know he probably wanted to at times, and I know he felt pressure from others too bail on me, but he didn't.  That to me is an AMAZING example of going out on faith and trusting God.  How many of us would stand up to that kind of peer pressure?  To know that the people we fellowship with don't agree with what we are doing, yet we stand up for what we believe NO MATTER WHAT, because we are passionnately seeking to follow the Lord and be Jesus in someone else's life.  I am forever indebted to Chris for the example he has been to me and in my life.  He has taught me so much through his humility, his heart, and his actions.  Chris, thank you, and I love you brother.  I'd lay down my life for you.


So who are these people in your life?  Have you ever thought about that?  More importantly, are you living to try to be available to be this in someone else's life?

Get out there and change the world this week!!!

1 comment:

Chris said...

Bro, u aren't indebted to me for anything, God has shown me so much in the past few years. No matter what we get involved in or whatever, if we are truly children of God, we may get off path from time to time but thru convictions and our Christian brothers and friends being there for us, we will get back on the right track.
I appreciate ur friendship and look forward to what God has in store!!