Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Here's your sign...

On my way home from Paris today (Texas, that is), I saw a sign that read, "IS GOD SATISFIED WITH YOUR LIFE?".  I pondered a few things about that sign the rest of the way home.

First, it is pretty cool that someone went to the trouble in the first place to make that sign, and place it where people are ASSURED of seeing it traveling towards Texarkana from Paris on HWY 82.  When you see a sign like that, you have to answer it in some form or fashion.  It might be that you read it and ponder life, and it might be that you read it and think someone was really stupid for doing that.  It might also be any sort of thought that falls inbetween those two.  BUT....it makes you stop and acknowledge it.  You can't deny that.

Second, it makes my heart hurt knowing that some people will absolutely see that sign and laugh about the fact that they think my God and my Jesus are a joke.  I don't have to explain that---it just hurts me.

Finally, it made me think about what being satisfied means.  Does that mean that we are living sinless and perfect lives?  Does that mean that we are Bible-thumping extremists who are close minded and so far to one side that we can't even communicate with non-believers?  Personally, I think that question has alot to do with the word "striving".  I think if we put unecessary pressure on ourselves to be perfect---something we will NEVER achieve---we only set ourselves up for failure.  I think this sign should instead cause us to take a snapshot of today, then be motivated to move further along the path that leads to Godliness.  It might be baby steps.  It might take a looooooong time to get where you'd like.  Either way, it all gets chalked up towards growth and progress.  That is NEVER a bad thing.

So ask yourself that question.  What does it mean to you in your life?  How else do you see it?  I'd love to know and hear from you!

Make a difference out there this week!  Thanks a ton for stopping in...

No comments: