Saturday, January 7, 2012

Stop being unfair...

I get to drive alot with my job, so I have plenty of opportunity to listen to different things on my radio.  One of the usuals is ESPN Radio. 

The other day, I was listening and they were going on and on about the NFL playoffs, teams, their chances, and their starting quarterbacks.  In the midst of this conversation, I found myself rolling my eyes alot (which I do at alot of the things I hear on here) as they were talking about what quarterbacks were good and which were not so good.  My eye-rolling was finally validated when one of the guests mentioned that the comparisons that were being made weren't fair at all!  I forget the exact comparison, but I do recall being in total agreement with that statement.  It is just unfair to be comparing a pocket qb with a running qb.  It is also unfair to compare stats from 1975 to stats from today.  You get the picture. 

So what does this mean for us today?  How do we apply this same concept to our lives?  I spent some time thinking about this after listening to that radio segment, and I am here to tell you that we can apply it EASILY!!!

I personally think we hold people to standards quite often that aren't remotely fair.  What's worse is that we do this, then get mad at THEM for not being able to live up to those completely unfair standards that WE put on them, without them asking for those unfair standards in the first place!  Here is a simple example.  Take Billy Graham.  Is it fair to hold a newer christian to the same standards of living and expectation that Billy Graham has CHOSEN in his life to live by?  My answer is no. 

I guess for me, in general, it is all about one's relationship with Jesus.  And truth be told, that is a relationship that only the beholder knows the truth about.  I can't tell my wife how her relationship with Jesus needs to be.  That is not my job.  What I CAN do is be an example for her and our kids, and when given the opportunity to share about my life, I can share about how I live and why I live, etc.  That is my responsibility.  But telling her or anyone else how to live their life is NOT my job---nor is it yours. 

I tend to believe that if we all focused on controlling only what we can control that the world would be a much better place.  People wouldn't be all up in each other's business, and we would be more focused on self-growth, our families, our faith (whatever that may be), and doing OUR part to make this world a better place. 

Is there anyone that you have found yourself upset with over the years or treat different because they haven't lived up to YOUR standards for THEIR life?  It is quite possible that negativity like that in anyone's life could be holding them back from moving forward to bigger and better things.  I encourage you to find a way to let that go and rebuild something better in its place.  Truth is, most times we unfairly hold things against people that actually aren't any of our business to be worried about in the first place.  Then we let that unfair bitterness and resentment cloud the truth of who that person is and blind us to the reality of where they are actually heading in life.  So instead of encouraging them as we should be, we end up being something negative that could be holding them back and robbing them, and possibly ourselves, of a blessing.   

I firmly believe that there is good in everybody, but it is hard to see and develop if there is always negativity in its way.  Build on the good.  Focus on positivity.  Put energy and effort into the good things---both in your life and also in others.   

Be a BLESSING today, not only in another's life, but to yourself as well!!!

No comments: