Saturday, January 21, 2012

Shifting Our View...

One of the things I feel like I have learned over the last number of years is this---just because we have had what we consider individual failures in our lives, that does not mean our life is over and can't be used to impact the world. 

There was definitely a time in my life that my focus was more on what I didn't do, or the things I did wrong, rather than what I CAN do or am capable of.  It goes back to a post I wrote long ago about looking the windshield as oppossed to the rearview mirror. 

I think our society contributes very much to this.  For example, when you watch the news, it is mostly negative.  The talk and gossip that we allow ourself to be a part of, usually negative.  When we decide to judge others, that's all negative as well.  Negative, negative, negative.  So when we stop to take inventory of our own lives, we are already conditioned to be in that negative mindset because of what our eyes see and the things we allow ourselves to speak and be a part of.  Because of that, we tend to focus on our faults and failures instead of learning from them and pressing on.

That is nothing more than defeat to me, and a very unproductive way to live our lives! 

I believe in my heart that people want to see and enjoy responding to authenticity.  Personally, I'd rather someone be honest, humble, open, and real instead of putting on a show or trying to come across as perfect.  NOBODY IS PERFECT, AND THAT IS OK!  From conversations I have with others, it is very clear to me that people desire to grow and be a part of something bigger than themselves.  People want to be able to be vulnerable and honest.  The problem is that so many people have been burned or have had their "negatives" thrown back in their face so often that they have lost all faith in others.

I have two things to say to all of that:

1)  Find your peace and worth from your creator before you give any kind of a crap as to what others think about you.  While I think it is important to be a light and example to others that we come in contact with, that is a completely different concept than being available to be the brunt of people's judgement and negativity.  That is a "them" problem, not a "you" problem.  Stand up and fight for what is true and right!

and

2)  John Maxwell says, "Every past success and failure can be a source of information and wisdom---if you allow it to be."

Life to me is about growing.  Personally, it is about growing in my relationship with Christ first.  The rest falls into place after.  If I am right in the first thing, the rest of the things in life are easy.  It is all about the attitude I carry.  I CHOOSE to carry an attitude that says I am a beautiful creation, here to serve a purpose, here to encourage others, here to make a difference, here to share my faith, here to just be a guy, here to love others, here to not live to the world's standards, etc.  Any "failures" that I have in my life, of which there are PLENTY, are nothing more at this point than an opportunity to learn and grow.  They are the things I can be free to share and discuss with others in REAL conversations that can lead to iron sharpening iron.  There is nothing any of has done in our lives that would keep God from loving us right where we are.  It is up to US to take charge and find our self-worth. 

Where are you with all of that?  Which way do you see life?  Are you struggling with past sin or mistakes?  Is your view more of a negative one?  I want you to be sure and know that Jesus died for all of our sins---past, present, and future!  Our life is not about living to a list of rules, but rather pursuing an understanding of grace and putting effort into our relationship with Jesus, therefore enabling us to live a purposeful and productive life on this earth.

Regardless of your faith or lack thereof, there is still alot of practical truth and opportunity for application found within this post.  My hope and prayer today is that you will first challenge yourself to become your best you, and then share and spread that passion by encouraging others!

Have a fantastic weekend!!!    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! You know it would be so murch easier if Christians would "adopt" the "view" of themselves and others that God has of them. He tells us how He feels about us in Ephesians 1:3-6 -"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved." God has caused us to be "united with Christ" and therefore 100% accepts us "in Christ." As a result He has (past tense) blessed us with "every spiritual blessing" -- and since that is how He sees us then it is how we should see ourselves and others who are similarly united with Christ. A "heavenly view" is the "correct view"....and when I don't see it that way then I am "incorrect" not God! What a deal!