Friday, January 13, 2012

Being a Christian vs. Being a Follower of Jesus Christ...

I like to constantly be challenging myself to grow.  This is true spiritually, with my health, as a potential leader, as a father, a husband, friend, and many other areas.  I believe that we should be constantly growing in some form or fashion, even if that is just being still and becoming a better listener to what God is telling us.  So at our men's bible study group this morning, God slammed me as we were discussing Ephesians 2 with this question---is there a difference in being a christian vs. being a follower of Jesus Christ?

To me, the obvious answer is yes.  No doubts about it.  But the question itself isn't the thing that challenges me most.  Rather, the challenge comes as we figure out how we shift our lives from being a content christian to becoming a true follower of Jesus.  Lets break it down to simple terms, then we can each individually decide where we currently sit.

A christian is simply one that has accepted the blood of Jesus Christ as a sacrifice and accepted Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior.  They know that they can't live this life alone, and are aware of the fact that they are unworthy of God's love, yet because of his grace and mercy and unconditional love for us, he gives it to us anyway.  Fair?  Simple, yet understood. 

A follower of Jesus Christ is someone that proactively searches out knowledge and understanding not only about his life, but also how to apply it and transform their own to become more like his.  They are seeking the Word more, seeking opportunity to impact lives for Jesus.  They don't care what others think or live by their standards, but rather live according to the standard set forth in the Bible.  They see a day not just as a day, but as an investment into eternity.  There is a bigger picture these people live by.  Again, a short and simple description, but you get where I'm going with it.

So where do you fit?  Which paragraph sums up where you are in your life right now? 

I know for me, it is easy to get sidetracked by life and allow the devil to take my focus from what God wants for me and my daily living.  I guess that is the importance of a constant investment into that relationship that I have with God.  The more I take from it, the more I am missing out on.  I guess it is a little like a 401K.  If your employer is offering a match, and you don't take it, then you're missing out on a free gift.  You're only robbing yourself.  Nobody else is doing that to you.  The difference is that what God has for us and for our life is SO much more than even one million times what the largest 401K could ever have in it.  The blessings and love are infinite that God desires for us both now and for eternity.

Do you want them?  Are you doing your part?  Just a little something to think about on your Friday morning.

If you read this and feel like you're not living to your potential, remember that your just one right turn from being on the wrong road.  Believe in what God can do, and believe in yourself.  We are all beautiful in the eyes of God, and his opinion should ultimately be the only one that matters!  You will NEVER regret choosing to become more of a follower of Jesus.  NEVER!

Have a great weekend, thanks for taking the time to stop in, and be sure to bless a life today!

No comments: