Thursday, September 29, 2011

It's the little things...

That statement makes me think of two different things:

1) A great Robert Earl Keen song

and

2) Relationships.  I came out of my volleyball game tonight and found a card and new bookmark that had been snuck into my car before I left the house.  It is not the first time that has happened.  In fact, when I had come home a few weeks back from having been gone for four days, I came home to 19 sticky notes, two cards, apartment vaccuumed, apartment dusted, laundry folded, dishes cleaned, fridge cleaned, and a love note written in lipstick on my bathroom mirror (that still resides there :) ).  Again, it's the little things.

How can I not want to wake up and want to do special little things for or constantly think about a person that loves me and thinks of me like that?  Did she HAVE to do ANY of that?  Heck no!  But she did anyway. 

Selflessness.  Thoughtfulness.  Generous.  Loving.  Caring.  Servant hearted.  Good communication.  Respect.  Friendship.  Trust.  Being a partner.  Investment in the bigger picture.  THOSE are the things that make relationships grow and strengthen.  I am very lucky that God has sent me someone that views relationships the same way that I do---and not only view them that way, but also acts on it daily!!!

So tonight, I ask you, are you doing YOUR part in your relationship?  Are you just expecting and not giving?  Are you giving all that you can?  How important is your relationship to you in the first place?

If things can be better, I hope you will consider ways that you can take the initiative to do more, and then following through by doing it!

I love you, Kelly...you're a blessing...

Be a blessing out there everybody!

2 comments:

Mike Peery said...

I used a dry erase marker to write a note on Heather's mirror one day. We left the marker in the bathroom and played tic tac toe every morning. It truly is the little things that make it worth it! :)

Clint King said...

A smart man once said, "relationships based in Christ are not 50/50...they are 100/100%. It's funny, Kendra says, "There is nothing more attractive than a man doing dishes". You are right, it is the little things.