Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Current status of the mind...

Man, I am being blown away by Ephesians.  First of all, God CHOSE ME.  He chose me IN HIM!  And if that weren't enough, he chose me BEFORE HE CREATED THE WORLD!! AAAAANNNNNNDDD, on top of that, he chose me TO BE HOLY AND BLAMELESS IN HIS SIGHT!!!  All of that comes straight out of Ephesians 1:4.  The verse right before that, verse 3, tells us that he blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 

STOP AND THINK ABOUT ALL OF THAT.  SERIOUSLY.....READ EACH OF THOSE SENTENCES ALONE AND THINK ABOUT HOW BIG AND AWESOME GOD IS!!!

The other thing comes from some reading I was doing in relation to Tim's sermon on Sunday.  He started a series on "Transformational Church."  As we were in Acts talking about the church at Antioch, I was reading some notes in my Bible.  In regards to Acts 11:26, my notes say this:

Acts 11:26
The young church at Antioch was a curious mixture of Jews (who spoke Greek or Aramic) and Gentiles.  It is significant that this is the first place where the believers were called Christians (or "Christ-ones"), because all they had in common was Christ--not race, culture, or even language.  Christ can cross all boundaries and unify all people.

Now, I love strong words.  Did you see just how many times the word "all" was used there?  Another great thing to go back and re-read!

Another thought on this---how different and more appealing would our church's be if they were more Christ-centered, not politics-centered.  If they were focused SOLELY on what we all have in common, Jesus Christ, and we truly used that as the focal point for ministry and inviting others to know what and who we know? 

I get in conversations with people that comment that they aren't as strong in their faith as others, or they don't feel "christian" enough, or some other form of discouragement.  I've gotta tell you, I firmly believe that just having Christ is ALL you need to go to the throne confidently!  One's faith is one's own business, and something that only the Holy Spirit should be convicting you about, not others.  Go back to the Ephesians verses mentioned above.  Did Paul say you were chosen "if you go to church three times per week, memorize your Bible, perform CPR on someone, and save ten children from a burning house?"  NOT AT ALL.

That is why I again encourage you to go back and read not only the awesome depth of what Paul wrote in Ephesians, or what my Bible says regarding Acts 11:26---but also to stop and think of just how simple it all is, too.  It all goes through Jesus.  Everything does.  Christ is the center of it all.  So I ask---is he the center for you?

I hope so...

1 comment:

Clint King said...

i like to think of it as a doorway...Christ is on the other side of the door, and it is up to us as to how far we choose to open that door. If you have only cracked the door to kind of see what's on the other side, maybe it's time to fling it open and see for yourself how amazing Gods grace and forgiveness can be.