Friday, November 25, 2011

Self-Awareness---I am Mike Maddox...

Ok, so I'm not literally Mike Maddox!  For those of you that don't know who Mike is, let me start by telling you about his brother, Greg. 

Greg Maddox is probably one of the top 15-20 pitchers to play baseball in some people's opinion.  He won all kinds of awards, was VERY highly regarded for his craft, and was feared by hitters not for his velocity, but for his ability to out-think hitters and also for his dominant command of his pitches.  He just naturally had a gift.  If people ask about the Maddox brothers, they will easily remember Greg first.

So you might be wondering why I am Mike and not Greg.  Well, that is easy.  Mike Maddox was also a major league pitcher. He bounced around on over ten different teams, and usually pitched in the middle or bottom of the rotation.  He is not someone remembered for all of his achievements on the field. 

But while Greg had his biggest baseball impact on the field himself, Mike is now having an impact and making a difference for MANY.  He is currently the Texas Rangers pitching coach.  He has led his staff to the past two World Series.  He came to Texas at the personal request of Nolan Ryan because of his work previously turning around another pitching staff in the National League. 

I see myself as Mike Maddox.  I have always been able to learn many things, and hold my own at them.  Yet, I was never the best.  And trust me, I am quite ok with that.  My calling is to encourage and help make an impact in others' lives.  I understand that.  THAT is something I am glad to know!  The question now is, what am I going to do with that knowledge?

I think we often try to be something we think WE ourselves want to be, and we lose sight of God's calling in that process.  When we do that, we are directing our lives out of selfish wants.  I used to want to climb the corporate ladder and manage others and make a huge salary.  Don't get me wrong, money is not a bad thing, but my motives were.  Life is about so much more than money.  It is about having an impact in our short time on this beautiful earth.  It is about finding what your passions are and pursuing them.  I have found that God has NEVER left me hungry or left me without a roof over my head.  My needs and those of my family have ALWAYS been provided for.   

Keep in mind that NEVER and ALWAYS are some pretty strong words...

Is there a division in your life when it comes to the path you are on vs. the desires God has naturally put in your heart?  Maybe there is a reason you feel like something is always missing.  I encourage you to think and pray about that, and if that is the case, remember that it is NOT too late to change your path!

I hope you all had a FANTASTIC Turkey Day!!    Now get out your stretchy pants and watch some football!!

2 comments:

loves2shootstuff said...

Well said.....well lived....

"....godliness with contentment is great gain..."

And we are not "settling" for anything....just being who God made us to be and having peace in that place.

TEN said...

Thanks for the comment...

And I agree on "settling"...first, there is NOTHING greater than pursuing Jesus...second, in my opinion, "settling" is between a person and God. It is up to each individual and only them as to whether you are living up to all that you can and should be...that is a heart issue that only one's self can answer. Again, just my opinion...I can only control me :) The rest is WAY above my paygrade!

Stop back in sometime!