Friday, November 11, 2011

Influence and Process...

I am all about learning.  I live my life trying to apply a few basic groundrules everyday.  They are as follows:
-I am better than nobody
-I can learn anything from anyone at anytime
-Strive to be a little better everyday than I was the day before
-Goodness and kindness can go a LONG way in any kind of situation
-Control only what I can control
-Don't live in the past
-Failures aren't bad---they are nothing more than growing opportunities to apply along this journey
-Apply the Golden Rule often
-When someone says something can't be done, feel free to loudly ask, "why not?"

When I think of these things, which I do almost ALL of the time in some form or fashion, I get the opportunity to "self-analyze."  For me, that is just part of the process of becoming an influencer and leader in life.   Now, I could sit here and try to jibber jabber on and on about my thoughts, but I feel like it's best to let a true influencer and leader do the talking here for me tonight.  John Maxwell's book, "21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership", has back-to-back chapters on influence and process.  Here are a few lines that have managed to find themselves underlined in my copy:

(on influence)
-Titles don't have much value when it comes to leading.
-True leadership cannot be appointed, awarded, or assigned.  It only comes from influence.  It must be earned.
-Hard work is required to gain influence in any organization.  You have to earn the right to be a leader.
-Leadership is influence.  Nothing more, nothing less.

(on process)
-The secret of our success is found in our daily agenda.
-The ability to lead is really a collection of skills, nearly all of which can be learned and improved.
-Leadership is complicated.  It includes respect, experience, emotional strength, people skills, discipline, vision, momentum, timing, etc.
-It is the capacity to develop and improve their skills that distinguishes leaders from their followers. 
-The learning process is ongoing, a result of self-discipline and perseverance.
-People have no idea the opportunities they are passing up when they choose to NOT lead.
-To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge.
-When you recognize your lack of skill and begin the daily discipline of personal growth in leadership, exciting things start to happen.
-Champions don't become champions in the ring--they are merely recognized there.
-Leadership doesn't develop in a day.  It takes a lifetime.

So the first thing I noticed after I reviewed what all I had underlined was that the process and learning section had WHOLE LOT more underlined.  That is humbling.  See, honestly, I feel like I have the natural abilities to lead.  I KNOW I can influence.  I have seen it in action.  I have had verbal confirmation from leaders, friends, etc.  I am encouraged and thankful for those observations.  BUT....I lack sustained substance.  I need to be able to develop daily into the BEST leader that I can possibly be.  It is one thing to have the ability to lead.  It is a completely another thing to be an influencing and respected leader. 

I desire that.  In a sense, I feel called to that.  I look forward to seeing what all transpires and unfolds as I move daily towards reaching my capacity as a leader.  I am excited about putting hard work, study hours, prayer, thought, and great effort into daily managing my life to get the absolute most out of it!

So what about you?  Are you a leader?  Do you want to be?  What goes through your mind and heart as you read this?  Do you believe in yourself?  What kinds of people and things do you surround yourself with that are influencing you?  What kind of impact are you having on those that might be influenced by YOU? 

I just have such a belief that each and every person can achieve great and mighty things.  God put us on this earth not to just float through life, but to make a difference to those around us.  I challenge you, just as I feel challenged myself, to maximize that opportunity!  Read back through the solid statements that Maxwell's book provides us, and hold the ones that stick out near and dear to your heart each day! 

2 comments:

Mike Peery said...

Doing some good work here Tommy Neal...thankful you and I are still friends after all these years. (I say that like we are 80...lol)

TEN said...

I don't know about the good work Mr. Peery, but the kind words mean alot! I, too, am very thankful that as we grow closer to our 80's we still have a friendship and are able to encourage each other tot be better men, christians, and fathers!

Love ya bro!